Frequently Asked Questions
I’ve never built before, where do I start?
At what stage do I involve a builder?
Why is it important to select a Certified Builder?
Does my builder need to be a Licensed Building Practitioner?
Do I need a building consent?
- If you are carrying out building work you may need to apply for a building consent.
- Here are some examples of work that requires consent:
- Any structural building including new buildings, additions, alterations, accessory buildings (sheds), and re-piling
- Plumbing and drainage
- Heating (fireplaces), ventilation and air conditioning systems
- Siteworks for a building
- Retaining walls higher than 1.5 metres, or retaining walls with a building or driveway near the top
- Fences higher than 2.5 metres and any swimming pool fence
- Swimming pools
- Decks more than 1.5 metres from ground level
If in doubt we recommend you ring your local Council and discuss your project with them.
Do I get a guarantee?
Yes you do! A full Halo 10-Year Residential Guarantee
If something does go wrong after the completion of your build, then provided the terms and
conditions are met your Guarantee will cover it and we will step in to help you fix any agreed
problems or pay you a cash settlement to enable you to do so
The full Halo 10-Year Residential Guarantee will cover you for:
- Loss of deposit
- Non-completion of the dwelling
- Structural defects for 10 years
- Non-structural defects for 2 years
- Alternative accommodation
- It adds value to your property
- It’s fully transferable if you decide to sell
- It helps finance your build, as many banks prefer that a guarantee be present
It costs less than 1% of the total build cost to protect your biggest investment
What is covered under the Halo 10 Year Guarantee?
Are the guarantees transferable if I sell my home?
How can I keep the building project within my budget?
How do we pay for the building project?
Can I make changes during the building project?
Will the construction site be safe?
We will always endeavor to keep your sites safe and clean. We are members of Hazardco and will provide you with a full Health & Safety information pack at the beginning of the building program.
We create a safer working environment and encourage better health and safety practices on a daily basis.